Six years ago on this day, my life changed. Course up till then, my life had undergone a lot of changes. I'd been taken from my mom, and put in a lovin' home, then after a year I went to a place called leaderdogs for the blind. There I found out from other dogs in trainin' that we were supposed to be learnin' to help people. Cool I thought. I'll help people as long as they feed me. So the one I was supposed to help was my Becky. She worked with me every day. She played with me, groomed me, even fed me sometimes. Me and her were a team. So it was no surprise to me one afternoon after I had gotten a bath that I was loaded on a truck and taken out of the kennel and to a new building. There was my Becky! She came on the truck with a leash in her hand. Pick me! I cried jumpin' up and down tryin' to get her attention. She greeted me in the usual manner and I had lots of happy kisses and wags for her too. I hadn't seen her in a few days. Thought she forgot about me. She hooked the leash to me. I smelled someone else on the leash, but didn't think anythin' of it. We walked in to the building and almost immediately stopped at a door. My Becky nocked, and then opened the door. I looked in and saw a girl sittin' on a bed. She looked excited and nervous. My Becky let go of my leash and the girl called me. She knew my name! Cool! I ran to her and as I greeted her, I realized my Becky was gone. She had shut the door. O well. She'll be back. I can stay with this girl till my Becky returns. But my Becky never did return. At least, not like I thought she would. For the next few weeks, I tried and tried to get my Becky's attention. What had I done! Why wasn't she takin' me back! My Becky! I apparently had a new mom to take care of. I sized her up and decided to challenge her to see what she was made of. Ma, I'm happy to say you passed the test. You stuck by me all these years, and in return, I hope I been a great leaderdog for you. You've certainly kept me longer than any other in my life. But maybe they were all preparin' me for you. We had some rough times at first. Me not wantin' to trust you and wantin' my Becky back, you not knowin' what you were doing since I was your first dog. Yes, I knew that. I tested you so much back then. I still do on occasion, but I think we've formed a good solid team here. Shoot I wish you'd feed me more though my word! That'd probably be my only complaint though. I've been happy with you ma. I've felt secure, like I can trust you. You've taken care of me well and I've had a lot of health issues to deal with too. I do my best for ya ma. And after six years, I'd have to say I'd do it all again. Yes, I still miss my Becky sometimes, but mom's been with me the longest, and I hope we have many more years together. Happy anniversary ma.
Reba the dog.
P.S. If I hear that any of my readers spread that I'm goin' soft, I'll deny every word of it and it'll be my word against yours I mean it.
No comments:
Post a Comment